By Matthew Sweet (@matthewdsweet)
Hamilton's Sustainability Professionals Network is always looking for opportunities to help promote all things sustainability in Hamilton. If you have an event, program, activity etc related to the topic of sustainability that you would like us to help you promote, drop us a line at email@example.com and we'll be happy to discuss!
We have several different ways that we regularly connect with you.
Our newsletter is delivered directly to your inbox monthly. In the newsletter, we highlight major upcoming events being hosted by us or our partners. We share major updates on some of our ongoing projects. If you haven't already signed up for our newsletter, you can do so by clicking here.
We publish news updates on HamiltonSPN.ca twice weekly. Updates include information and links to events, programs, activities, networking opportunities, stories related to sustainability from Hamilton and around the world, and more. If you want to subscribe to our news updates RSS feed, you can do so by clicking here.
The SPN Podcast features interviews with prominent figures in Hamilton working in fields related to sustainability. New episodes are published regularly. Click here to listen to or download individual episodes. The SPN Podcast is also on iTunes so subscribe today.
Remember to follow us on Twitter @HamiltonSPN for all the latest news, sustainability stories from Hamilton and around the world, cool retweets, and tons more.
Our LinkedIn group is the home for ongoing discussions on the subject of sustainability for professionals in Hamilton. Join the discussion today.
- Hamilton’s four major environmental groups, Green Venture, Environment Hamilton, Bay Area Restoration Council, and Hamilton Naturalists' Club, have teamed up to reach out to the community. If you’d like to get involved with environmental initiatives in Hamilton, you won’t want to miss a forum TONIGHT June 9, 7pm to introduce programs happening in Hamilton over the summer. The event takes place at Hamilton Central Library. For more information click here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our partners at Hamilton HIVE are meeting with each mayoral candidate in advance of the municipal elections, and they are looking for your input and questions on the issues that are important to young professionals. Send a tweet to @hamiltonhive and raise issues related to sustainability!
- Citizens at City Hall (CATCH) recently published two articles with sustainability themes, one on road construction being considered an improvement in sustainability here, and one on the response of cities to climate change here. We will have Don McLean of CATCH (amongst his many hats) on the SPN Podcast in the next couple of days
- The 33rd Report to the Club of Rome provides further confirmation to the findings presented in the think tank's original report, "Limits to Growth" from 1972. Entitled "Extracted: How the Quest for Mineral Wealth is Plundering the Planet", the report details the energy, economic and environmental consequences of ongoing mineral extraction and resource depletion, including fossil fuels. The report is being published on June 12th but you can read a summary here and here (two parts).
- Paul Krugman with the New York Times has an interesting take on climate change denial and the economy vs environment false argument here.